Christmas day is a time of cheer, not a time of fear. Instead of worrying about how many calories we consume in one day, we should simply try to adhere to some basic rules.
- Start the day with some ‘bucks fizz’ but swap the alcohol for lemonade, you can still cheers but minimise the calories.
- Have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on wholemeal bread, there is nothing wrong with this as fish and eggs are both full of protein.
- If you are hosting Christmas day add in some fruit nibbles, simple chopped up apples, oranges and berries, that way you can sit and nibble on those instead of salty options.
- When you get to sit down, build your prawn cocktail individually instead of mixing the prawns into the sauce, that way you can have less sauce.
- Cover your dinner in gravy instead of white sauces, gravy is mostly made of water so much better than thicker sauces and tastes just as good.
- Split your plate into 2 quarters and one half, fill the half with vegetables, one quarter with roast potatoes and the other quarter with turkey.
- When it comes to pudding it can be difficult to say no, so use this time as a moment to enjoy a treat, have a pudding with the option of fruit and skip the sauce, that way you can taste more of the pud and not feel as bad.
- Finally, once the cheese starts circling pile up the grapes, they taste great with cheese and crackers but make you feel less guilty due to enjoying one of your five a day.
Enjoy your Christmas day and may it bring everything you want. Gina x