Churros! Those tasty fried doughy pastry things that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Sounds too good to be healthy for you right? Well, I managed to turn these sensational treats into a guilt free dessert by swapping a few ingredients and baking them.
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50g coconut oil
- Vanilla essence to taste
- 300ml hot boiling water
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
- 3 tbl spoon of honey
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Cover two oven trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Mix the hot water, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a jug.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add the water mixture.
- Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until you get a ‘thickish texture’ which looks similar to mashed potatoes.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a decorator tip.
- Pipe the dough into long, thin lengths on the oven trays. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the end of the dough from the piping tip.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly puffed and deep golden brown.
- Once cooked, sprinkle cinnamon or sugar on top.